Sunday, August 1, 2010

For over 12 years I have facilitated, as a volunteer, an aftercare group in the program where I work. This has been rewarding. I've gotten much more out of this group than the participants. And sometimes I hear insights that amaze me.

A client might say something like, "I've never been happier in my life." When I first heard this I didn't pay a lot of attention. But upon later reflection, it struck me as profound. After all, don't many of us struggle all our lives to achieve happiness?

We see media reports all the time of people who embody success. They have great careers. They are rich. They might have wonderful educations or be paragons of beauty or athletic prowess. Yet, all the time we hear about people with these many blessings who check into rehab programs. Or, they might be found dead of a drug overdose.

Usually the client who tells me that he's never been happier is living in a restricted part of our program with only the basics. When I ask him to elaborate upon his happiness he tells me of the inner peace he has achieved. He might mention the fact that for the first time in his life he has no fear of being jailed because of his addiction. Or he'll talk about the inner joy he experiences just because he is sober or drug-free.

My own belief, which I don't try to impose upon others, is that God put us on earth to be happy. In my opinion, all human beings want the same thing: to achieve happiness. For many years, I believed that I could only find happiness by immersing myself in drugs or alcohol. My pursuit of this so-called happiness caused my family and friends, and me, much pain. It was only after I finally got clean and sober that I found happiness.

This happiness took many forms. I found joy in just the simple things. My health began to come back. Family and friends began to treat me once again with respect. I was able to hold a job and hang onto money. The sense of demoralization and impending doom that was always with me when I was high disappeared.

So, when a client tells me that he's never been happier I can relate on a very personal level. And for both of us, this happiness is inextricably tied to living clean and sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment