Thursday, September 16, 2010

The phone call from the director of our woman's program was inspiring. She was excited because one of her clients had found a job.

It is not uncommon for our clients to find work. In fact it is required that they seek and maintain employment. But this client, who was very negative about her chances, had finally found a job.

I first met this woman in an aftercare group. Among her comments, when it was her turn to share was, “I'm unemployable." And I agreed with her.

"I wouldn't hire you either," I told her, "If you showed up at my business with that attitude."

My attitude surprised her. But I told her the same thing I would tell any other client. If I don't believe I can do something, I'm right. And if I think I can do something I have a better chance of succeeding.

She went on to explain that she hadn't worked in many years. Her previous employment had been in an administrative job. She was presentable and well-groomed, She spoke well. In my opinion her issue was lack of confidence and poor self-esteem.

I suggested she write down her goal and tape it her mirror. That way, each time she looked into the mirror, she would see her goal before her. Eventually, the message would sink into her subconscious.

It is sometimes difficult to connect suggestions with results. I didn't ask if she taped a message to her mirror. But in this case it seems that her new attitude helped her get a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment