Friday, October 1, 2010

The speaker at Sunday's meeting selected gratitude as the topic for the discussion that followed.

Different members of the group shared stories of how gratitude has fueled their recovery. One man was grateful because he hadn't drank or used drugs since he left prison. Another man was grateful for the halfway house that had accepted him after a period of homelessness.

One of my strong beliefs is that if I have gratitude then I will remain in recovery. It is difficult to relapse, I believe, if I am grateful for my circumstances. If I'm ungrateful I create fertile soil for anger, depression or negativity and allow these toxic emotions to creep into my life. It is difficult to drink or put drugs in our bodies while in a state of gratitude.

It's easy for me to find gratitude in everyday things. Yesterday I was reading a newspaper article about a young soldier who had lost his right leg below the knee in an explosion in Iraq. His primary concern was that once he recovered he would be able to return to the battlefield. He worked extremely hard in therapy to regain mobility. He exercised until he was able to run a mile with a 50 pound pack in less than eight minutes. His determination eventually earned him what he wanted. He is now serving as a captain in Afghanistan.

Stories like this illustrate the strength of the human spirit and help me realize that I can do whatever I want with my life if I have a strong desire. The idea that this young man, though severely injured, didn't sink into depression or negativity, and returned to the battlefield, gave me for the life that I have today.

Many of us in recovery from substance abuse may not have visible physical handicaps. Our problem is nearly always emotional and spiritual. But if I look about me I can observe how others deal with the issues they face. I can use these good examples and find gratitude for everything in my life, including the challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment