Thursday, December 16, 2010

Opportunities for 12 step work are everywhere. This week I was talking to a merchant who is having problems with his drinking.

Somehow he'd learned I was in recovery and seemed eager to discuss his drinking problem. I'm not sure he was eager to change his drinking. But he was at least willing to put the issue on the table, to admit he'd failed at many efforts to achieve sobriety the past 10 years.

We exchanged e-mail information and he said he'd be in touch during the following days. That, of course, remains to be seen.

Because this occurred while I was on vacation in Hawaii, it illustrates for me the opportunity that God regularly puts into our lives to help those suffering from our disease. Just because we're on vacation, He's not. Maybe we're the only chance this person will have to meet someone in recovery.

When that happens we need to be there for them, to carry the message. Maybe I did my part with this man.

This obligation is always with us as we do the 12 step. Someone was there for us when we needed help. We must keep this in mind as we travel the road to happy destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment