Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 14 at our corporate office my employees held an event honoring my 20th year of sobriety. It was a moving occasion. My sponsor Ralph was there. My best friend was there, a man who has been working with me almost since the beginning of my sobriety journey. In fact, he came into my life after I had been sober for about 17 months.

My fiancée of two years was also there. She had gone to great lengths to prepare a beautiful cake commemorating the occasion. They cake was big enough to feed about 40 people and had a large 12 step symbol embedded in the middle of it. Other employees had sent out for a buffet of Mexican food. It was a wonderful occasion on a beautiful day.

When it came my turn to share I talked briefly about how amazing it was that I had been sober for 20 years. I described how I had arrived in a detoxification unit in Mesa, where my sponsor was employed at the time. I stressed to the group, mostly employees of TLC, about how important their jobs are.

A recurring theme to me is the idea that our efforts to help someone stay sober have an impact on more than just that person. When I help someone stay sober by carrying the message to them my actions influence not only them, but everyone in their life. If they are blessed enough to stay sober and reunite with their families they have a positive influence on their families. They might be fortunate enough to raise children, or grandchildren, who've never seen them drunk or high or in jail.

To me, that’s what the program’s about.

No comments:

Post a Comment