Saturday, January 15, 2011

Last night I was in my office, preparing for a counseling session and witnessed an example of what Transitional Living Communities is all about. One of our long-time employees, with us about 16 years, was helping his young son do some math homework at the table in the conference room. At first, their conversation was distracting. But then as the father went on teaching the son the rudiments of math I realized I was seeing our mission in action.

I say this because the father came to us when he was around 18 years old. He was in and out of our program many times before he could stay stay clean and sober. Eventually he became responsible enough to manage an integral part of our program. In recent years he has been able to take an active part in his son's life; in fact his son now lives with him. Our employee has gone from being an irresponsible drug addict, alcoholic, and ex-felon, to become a responsible and sober parent.

I tell our managers over and over that their work with addicts and alcoholics doesn't just stop with that person. If they're successful in their efforts to help that person stay sober, then that person might go on to be an example to the others, especially their children. I often say that missionary parents raise little missionaries. Carpenters raise carpenters. School teachers raise schoolteachers. I believe that parents become a living example for their children. And if the parents are sober human beings who are living productive lives, then perhaps their children will emulate them. While I know this is not as simple as one and one equals two, the odds are still better that the sober person will raise a sober child.

What I saw in my office last night shows me Transitional Living Communities is accomplishing its mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment