Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Yesterday I was happy to see an alcoholic who'd returned to our program after one more relapse. In his case, many of us weren't sure he would make it back. When I spoke to him outside the TLC employment center he seemed anxious about his recovery. All I could do was encourage him to stick around, to stay in the moment, and to use the tools of the 12 step program.

I explained to him that his problem wasn't intelligence, it wasn't money, it wasn't health - it was merely a matter of him applying the tools he had already gained in the program.

While I was happy to see him, the encounter made me realize how serious our disease is. The man had the remnants of black eyes, and the beat down look of one who has tried again to successfully drink, but failed. I encouraged him to stick around and work the program, but realized he was suffering a great deal of inner turmoil. In cases like this many times sobriety is moment-to-moment.

He began explaining what had happened, why he had relapsed. He said he was at a bus depot in Las Vegas, and would have to wait some 5 hours for the bus to Phoenix. Before he knew it he was drinking and wandering the streets in the midst of one more turbulent relapse.

From my perspective of 20 years sober I explained to him it had nothing to do with the wait at the depot. It had everything to do with him not using the tools of the program. I told him he could be sleeping in the middle of a liquor store and not drink if applied the principles of the program. The availability of alcohol or drugs is not the primary factor. Alcohol is everywhere. Drugs are everywhere. People often offer them to us to be sociable. However, if we apply the principles of the program, live one day at a time, call our sponsor when in doubt, make a diligent effort at doing the steps, nothing will deter us in our quest to remain sober.

Early in my sobriety I would despair when I encountered cases like this man's. I would wonder if there is any chance of anyone staying sober. But after a time I came to realize that most of us alcoholics and addicts don't make it. Those of us who do make it are blessed. We are the ones who somehow God has spared. We have picked up the tools that have been presented to us. We use them when we are tempted.

When I encounter a man like this one, men who have repeatedly relapsed and returned, I know the only power I have is in prayer. I pray that one day they'll succeed and stay sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment