Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Because there is so much in the media about cruelty, violence, and negativity I'm always moved when I see acts of kindness.

I saw kindness yesterday when I left a restaurant behind two elderly people who needed help leaving. The woman supported herself on a walker, while the man was assisted by two young men on either side who were guiding him carefully through the restaurant and down the walkway.

As I walked behind them I could hear the man expressing embarrassment about having to be helped. One of the men helping him downplayed his comments, telling him there was “nothing to be embarrassed about.”

While I'm uncertain of the relationship between the parties, whether those helping were family, friends, or strangers, their behavior showed a love and concern that stayed with me.

Because kindness and good acts don't sell nearly as many newspapers or advertising spots as bad news it is refreshing to see the kindness I witnessed last night.

As someone in recovery who has seen much of the seamier side of life the beauty of kindness and love feeds my soul.

1 comment: