Thursday, February 10, 2011

A client who came to TLC from clear across the United States turned up dirty on a drug test last week. He claimed the drugs were in his system prior to his arrival. And it’s possible he was right. The drug he turned up positive for was marijuana, which stays in the system for as long as 30 days. Because the test was given on the cusp of the 30 day limit, he was given the benefit of the doubt. He wasn't discharged, but our managers will test him often.

While I'm not sure this client was telling the truth, it mystifies me why someone will come to a program to get sober and continue to use. I know our disease wants us to get high. But my belief is that if I make a commitment to get sober than I need to take advantage of the tools I'm offered. When I finally made the commitment to get sober I did everything I could to do so. I went to meetings, found a sponsor, a job and followed the guidelines of the halfway house I was living in at the time.

I believe we shouldn't try to get sober until we’re done. When I came to the program I had no doubt about being an addict and alcoholic. History had shown me over and over I couldn’t successfully drink or drug. I was totally demoralized, homeless, broke, and ready to listen to anyone with a solution. The solution I found was to go to a detoxification facility. While there I was shown a plan to stay sober. Part of that plan was to go to 12 step meetings and follow the suggestions of those in the meetings. And, I never had to turn back because I followed the suggestions.

I hope this person who failed a drug test was telling the truth. After all, our mission is to help addicts and alcoholics rebuild their lives. We’re willing to help as long as our clients are willing to try. However, when they use drugs we have to refer them to a detoxification unit or another program. We don't have a problem with people using drugs or alcohol. We’re not evangelists or missionaries.

But if people want to get clean and sober then that's what TLC is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment