Friday, February 25, 2011

Yesterday I visited one of our job sites and had the privilege of seeing recovery in action. The TLC maintenance crew was rehabilitating eight units TLC owns on Ninth Avenue in Phoenix. The 75-year-old units were in the last stages of their life when TLC acquired them. Because we couldn't afford to pay for an empty lot, and had the material and manpower, we decided to remodel the units.

All of the sheet rock, cabinets, and flooring were replaced. When I made my visit yesterday the crew was finishing up the last two units. The job is expected to be wrapped up within 30 days.

This crew didn't know I was coming so it was refreshing to drive up and see them all busily at work. The project didn't appear to be different from any other building project in the city. The only difference was the people doing the work. Of the nine man crew, probably half of them had been in prison more than once. The rest had been either homeless or jobless for many years. The crew supervisor spent four years in prison on his last term, and has been with TLC nearly three years.

When I arrived at the site he asked me if I'd like to see what they were doing. Of course I did. He took me from apartment to apartment showing me the details. He was proud - and had a right to be. The work is of a quality that would surpass anyone's expectations -particularly for a project of that vintage.

The most rewarding aspect of my job is witnessing changes in people's lives. When I see former thieves and addicts - men no one expected to change - producing productive work, I can't help but be proud. Even though the motivation comes from them, at one point I helped create the structure in which they work. In fact, when people give me a lot of credit for what TLC does I always mention the fact that we only provide the structure. The clients provide the work and motivation to change.

So when I see what these men are doing with their lives, creating projects that will help others stay sober, I'm very grateful for what God has put before me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment