Thursday, March 17, 2011

I heard last night about a long-time business acquaintance who was arrested for fraud. I wasn’t surprised when I heard of his arrest. He has a long history of addiction and has been charged several times for various crimes – none of which resulted in serious time or a prison term. He did receive probation for drug offenses and other criminal activities. But to my knowledge none of his escapades landed him in prison.

However I knew it was only a matter of time before the life finally caught up with him. For me, his arrest was a reaffirmation of something I already knew: if we're really addicts our disease will eventually take control.

And it was only when traumatic things happened to me: arrests, loss of jobs, and broken relationships that life began to change. I don't believe those of us who are serious addicts get over addictions without some life-changing event intervening for us. While at the time they may be painful, they are often a necessary part of getting sober and clean. And that's what has happened for this man. Assuming he doesn't beat this rap - as he has many others - he may eventually grasp the idea that his addiction is the root of all of his problems.

There's nothing obstructing this man from being successful except his addictions. He’s managed to accumulate property in the city in which he lives. For over 15 years he had a successful business that earned him a good living. But his addictions eventually won him the divorce, arrests, and other setbacks that probably led him into his present legal maelstrom.

All of us who know him wish him well. Hopefully, one of these days we'll welcome him into the rooms of recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment