Thursday, March 31, 2011

When it was his turn to share at the meeting, an older man reflected upon how the tsunami in Japan had changed his outlook on life.

"I have this vision of a 70-year-old man, sitting in his garden, going about his daily life. Maybe he was thinking about meeting someone for tea later on. Perhaps he was planning a vacation. Or maybe he was simply thinking about how he was going to take care of himself when he was in his 80s. Then all of a sudden this 30 foot wall of water came and wiped out everything."

The man went on to say the disaster emphasized for him how tenuous life can really be. It made him realize he should relish the moment, and not fret so much about things that might be swept away the next minute.

It’s natural for us to sink into the minutia of day -to -day life. We have responsibilities to our families. We do something to make a living, to earn our keep. We care for our children. Most of our minutes are spent meeting these obligations. It’s the normal ebb and flow of life.

But it is also important for each of us - especially those of us in recovery - to enjoy and appreciate our daily existence. When I'm busily taking care of my obligations to TLC, to maintaining the stuff I've acquired in 20+ years of sobriety, it's easy to become immersed in my responsibilities.

But if I pause to take a deep breathe, to meditate, to savor the fruits of my existence then I’m in this moment God has provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment