Monday, March 14, 2011

While on vacation yesterday my companion and I were on the deck of a party boat that was headed to a small island about an hour from Puerto Vallarta. There was an open bar on the boat and waiters were busily circulating through the crowds.

“Margarita?” a waiter offered, putting a tray of colorful drinks under our noses.

“Gracias” I replied. “But we’ve had enough.”

He smiled as us knowingly, and later brought the juice we ordered. My standard answer when I’m offered alcohol in any situation is always the same: “I’ve had enough.”

And I really mean that. The fact that the last time I drank was twenty plus years ago is of no concern to anyone around me. They never know whether my statement refers to twenty years ago or twenty minutes ago. And the other part of it is that they really don’t care.

I’m grateful for the life of recovery I enjoy each day. And, I’m fully cognizant that if I weren’t sober I wouldn’t here to write this blog. My reality is that I’ve had enough of self-destructive behavior. And because I’ve had enough, I’m able to enjoy the life God has so graciously given us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment