Sunday, May 15, 2011

100% Success

At a 12-step meeting a newcomer seeking a sponsor was directed to a man in his seventies who’d been sober for some 35 years.

“I’m looking for a sponsor,” the newcomer told the old-timer. “I hear you’ve been sober a long time”

“I have,” the veteran replied, “over 35 years.”

“And you’ve sponsored a lot of people during that time?”

“Probably hundreds,” he replied.

“And your success rate?” the newcomer asked.

“100%,” he replied.

The newcomer was astounded. “You mean 100% of the people you’ve sponsored stayed sober.”

“No, but I have,” the old-timer replied.

This apocryphal tale, which has floated around 12-step meetings for years, illustrates the benefits of carrying the message.

I’m often let down when those I sponsor relapse. But my sponsor reminds me that I’m still sober today and for that I should be grateful. And I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment