Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Act of Kindness

The longer I'm in recovery the more deeply touched I am when I see random acts of kindness.

This weekend I was leaving a Walgreen's store when I noticed a woman talking to an elderly man sitting on a bench outside the store. The man, who was there when I entered the store, was well-dressed and in seeming good health. He appeared to be waiting for a ride. However, when I passed by I overheard the woman inquiring as to his well-being.

She asked if he had a ride or if he was waiting for a taxi. Probably because it was very humid and over 95° she was concerned about him. I'm not sure how the conversation ended or if the woman helped the man get to where he needed to go. But I was moved that she showed concern for him - someone who appeared to be a stranger.

Because we live in a world where the best selling news is negative it's wonderful to see a person expressing kindness to others.