Sunday, May 8, 2011

Road Warrior Can't Find Work

The client was a character right out of the 1981 movie, "Road Warrior." He had long stringy gray hair, which flowed down his back and was secured into a ponytail. He had the leathery complexion of a man who’d been in the sun for too many years. He wore an old T-shirt with the sleeves cut off the shoulders and raggedy Levi's. Because his voice box had been removed due to cancer, he could only speak by holding his finger over a hole in his throat. The client, in his late fifties, had also had suffered two heart attacks.

He was in my office to tell me he couldn’t find a job. Because he likely wouldn't be able to find employment outside of businesses that hire the handicapped, I decided to see if we couldn't employ him in our office-maybe working on the phones. He seemed grateful until I told him he’d have to clean up his appearance and cut his hair if he wanted the job.

"Can I have some time to think about it?" he asked.

"What's there to think about?" I responded. I was kind of surprised that the man's question, because I knew that he had no serious prospects of a job. Plus, he already owed TLC for several weeks of service fees because he had no income.

"I'm not sure I want to cut my hair," he replied.

I was astounded at his response. Here was a man who'd just been released from prison, who had no money, no outside resources and was in poor health. Yet he was turning down an offer for help over misplaced vanity.

He went on to say that he didn't think it was fair that he had to cut his hair, while others in the house had long hair. I told him if his service fees were paid, we had no problem with how long his hair was. The real issue was that if we were supporting him and giving him employment, then he was going to meet our grooming requirements. We simply wanted to offer him the best opportunity to stay sober, to get his life back together.

I hope this client takes another look at his situation and makes the right decision. If he decides to leave our program over cutting his hair he's going to find it's really a rough world out there living on the streets in Phoenix in 100 degree weather. Especially with his health issues.

When he left my office I thanked God that today I can make decisions that are in my best interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment