Thursday, June 9, 2011

Finding Gratitude

Reasons for gratitude can be found wherever we are. And I think it's important for my recovery to look for them - no matter what the circumstances.

For example, last week my neurologist sent me to Scottsdale – Osborne hospital for a lumbar puncture, a procedure where spinal fluid is withdrawn for diagnosis.

It wasn't a painful procedure; most of the pain was in my imagination. The aftermath was much worse, an excruciating headache for five days or so, so severe I couldn’t work. And I had to go back a few days later to get a follow-up procedure to get rid of the headaches.

So find gratitude in these circumstances? Yes, and I didn’t have to look far:

• While waiting to be released I was grateful for having medical insurance that allows me to seek treatment.

• I reflected upon how many in the world don’t have basic health care and how blessed I live in a country where I have this privilege.

• I felt gratitude toward those who’ve spent their careers creating advanced medical technology to treat our ailments.

• And while waiting at the hospital I overheard patients with serious medical problems who were in real pain – much worse than what I was experiencing. It helped me realize my discomfort was minor.

• Also, I was able to see the example of dedicated nurses and volunteers, devoted people with care and concern for their patients.

In summation I found gratitude where I once would have found another occasion to say “poor me.” The beauty of being sober today is that I’m able to find gratitude in life’s challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment