Monday, June 6, 2011

Still Working at 72?

The other day I was checking into the financial services department of a local hospital when the intake person said "well I guess you're enjoying a happy retirement?" She was reading my date of birth and because I'm 72 years old she apparently assumed I no longer worked.

"Oh I still work," I told her. "In fact, I have two jobs."

She seemed surprised and I told her I don't plan to ever retire. As long as health permits, I'm going to work. If I sit on my butt I won't be around very long. When I told her my motto was "use it or lose it," she turned red. But I think she understood what I was telling her.

A similar situation occurred a day later when I called to confirm an appointment at an MRI center. When I asked the secretary to give me directions to the facility once more because I left mine at the office she seemed surprised.

"You still work?" she asked. She obviously was also looking at my date of birth on her monitor. Then of course the drill was the same. I explained to her that I didn't want to sit around and rust away.

Even though some may look askance at a 72-year-old who goes to his office every day and who manages a real estate portfolio on the side - I am blessed to be able to do what I do. I love what I do so much that at times, when the economy has been bad, I've done the job for nothing. In fact, for the past 30 months I've taken a complete pay cut and just lived on real estate income. We must challenge ourselves if we want to keep our wits about us. I know if I just watch TV, or play golf, I would go crazy with boredom.

In a recent blog I expressed that I was surprised I lived to be 40. When I finally got sober at 50 I determined I was going to live a full existence. I didn't get sober to be miserable. I got sober to enjoy life, to pay back to the world for some of the wrongs I'd committed.

A lot of clients and managers at TLC appreciate my attitude toward life, or at least they seem to. I try to be an example of good living, of doing service work, and of being an all-around good person. I believe that we exemplify sobriety by the way we live, not necessarily by what comes out of our mouths.

Every day I thank God because I'm still alive. And I know I wouldn't be alive if I hadn't been graced with the gift of sobriety.

1 comment:

  1. Dad you are an amazing success story and because of you I will never give up. I know that if you can go through all that you have and still be a wonderful, successful,healthy, person... i can too. With the knowledge and encouragement you have given me,I feel I can do anything! Veronica
    p.s. you forgot to mention you do 50 pullups a day :)

    ReplyDelete