Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Blog On

In yesterday's blog I wrote that I had been publishing this blog for 350 days now. I wondered if I should continue beyond my years commitment. And in this morning's e-mail I received my answer.

A woman named Gina wrote a very nice comment about her sister-in-law, who has been at TLC for more than 80 days. She said reading this blog each day has allowed her to have some kind of connection to what her sister's going through. For me, if one person benefits by what I post each day then that works for me.

My experience during this past year is that most of the people who are touched by what I say are family members. Also, once in a while what I say might resonate with one of our current clients. However, addicts themselves who are still out there using don't pay a lot of attention. And I would be an optimistic fool if I believe that addicts are scouring the Internet looking for help. I know that when I was out there the only thing I was looking for was more money or more drugs, usually both. In any event, my whole goal was to stay out of my mind and I mostly succeeded.

So because my mission is to help addicts and alcoholics change their lives, I'm going to keep writing this blog each day indefinitely. And while I would like to be like some of these mainline bloggers and have 200,000 readers, it's a wonderful blessing to be able to influence one or two people in their sobriety – or influence the people who love them and who are supporting them.

Thank you, Gina.

3 comments:

  1. John TLC has changed my life not once but twice. I am thankful and greatful. I know personally I look foward to reading your blogs everyday. I also know others do too. They help us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John -

    This is Gina! I’ve never been a person to respond to a blog…as you are opening yourself up to a whole different world because people can respond at will with whatever they have on their minds!! Yesterday, while reading your blog, I selfishly thought….wait, you can’t stop now!!! And after reading your blog this morning, I can tell you that I am so happy that I did in fact respond!

    I can't begin to describe how I felt (and still feel) while I read your blog this morning - I called my husband on the phone - literally in tears - simply moved with so much emotion.

    The emotions and wants that I have for my sister-in-law are so deep and real; although I’ve been with her brother for almost 5 years, I just met her in January of this year – this of course had/has much to do with her addictions and choices. However, I knew 80 some days ago that we, as a family were making the right decision to get her on that Greyhound Bus to TLC - - and that my sister-in-law was making the best choice that she’s made in a really long time to get help - we just weren't sure where that choice would take her...without TLC, I am not sure where she would be today…

    We as a family are ever so grateful for YOU and your faculty/facility.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you and your staff do every day – even when you aren’t feeling too creative to generate something worthwhile for your blog – I am SO happy that you’ve decided to continue!

    Blessings,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments. I lost a father and a brother to alcohol and drugs. And my son is now using once more after more than five years clean. So I can understand the powerful emotions connected with with this disease. Sometimes all we can do is pray that our loved ones will be blessed by sobriety.

    ReplyDelete