Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fruits of Sobriety

Today I'm at Imperial Beach, physically far away from the day to day issues of running a recovery program. The sand is ten feet from the front patio. And a hundred feet beyond that is the Pacific surf tumbling onto the beach.  A few dolphins are jumping beyond the breakers.

Children and grandchildren are asleep in other parts of the condominium. It is a time of relaxation and rejuvenation. During the week we'll take the kids to a theme park, visit local restaurants, and enjoy the beach.

But mentally, TLC is never far away. The responsibility of helping 600 plus addicts get their lives on track is ever present - as it should be.  However, one of the plusses of being around as long as we have is that we have a great team of people who fill in when vacations roll around. And the miracle of technology is that I can visit my office computers at will -though I do that as little as possible.

The over-riding realization that surfaces often these days is that none of this would have been possible had I not gotten sober in 1991. So many of my family members and contemporaries were unable to get sober and aren't around today to share these experiences. Those who know me understand my gratitude.

1 comment: