Monday, July 11, 2011

Success Rates?

Sometimes we're asked about our success rate, how many clients stay sober and for how long. I don't have the answer.

There's a program in our area that claims a 67 percent success rate for those who stay a year. I'm not one to bash success claims by other programs. But my question is "how do you know if someone remains sober after they leave your program?"

Do you follow them around and give them drug tests? Do you monitor them over the phone? Do you make surprise visits to their homes? I don't know. I believe success claims are subjective - and a lot about corporate ego.

Do I believe some programs are more successful than others? Sure. In fact, some might be even more successful than they claim. But unless we spend a lot of time and money following former clients we won't have much more than an opinion or wishful thinking about our success rate.

Does that mean we shouldn't keep helping people into sobriety because we don’t know if we’re helping? No, I think we continue helping those who want to change - even if only a small percentage stays clean. Sometimes all we do is plant the seed. It often takes a while for it to sprout onto full blown sobriety.

I believe our mandate is to do the work – to carry the message. The rest is up to God.

3 comments:

  1. To me there is no doubt about it, TLC has saved my life not once but twice. I know from personal experience that it is a great program. I am over my 90 but I am going to stay longer because I want to stay sober more than I want to use. Helping others and carrying the message is part of the process that keeps me sober.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The next time your asked, tell the person to come to a morning meditation ~ have them count the people who are there ~ there's your success rate, every one of them stayed sober for one more day. A DAY AT A TIME ~ is how we count them.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am getting close to launching my Transitional Living Program (with outpatient therapy) in the Scottsdale area. I have enjoyed reading your entries, and It has inspired me to start a blog for my program. I agree that if your blog helps one person change their perspective, or decide to seek help, then it is a success. It sounds like you have produced a lot of success stories with your program. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete