Thursday, August 25, 2011

Drunks Call

When I answered the phone it was another call from a drunk. The voice was hesitant, the breathing was deep.  His words were slurred. Finally, when he was sure he had the person he wanted to talk to, he launched into a diatribe.

            "You're the mo - - - - - - - - er ," he screamed into the phone, "who started TLC. You're the guy who's hiding behind your staff. You're afraid to come out and talk to us drunks. I know who you are! But you don't remember me. I'm the guy you tried to sponsor one time." He then gave me his name, but I didn't recall meeting him.  He blathered on for a while, describing creative things he’d like to do to me, all the while not making any sense.

There wasn't much I could do to help.  He was too far gone. I stayed on the line with him anyway, trying to direct him to a detox so he could get back on track.  I listened to more of his abuse until I realized I had no power to help him. Then I hung up.

We get these calls every once in a while and – if they weren’t so sad- they would almost be humorous.  I take away the lesson that “there but for the grace of God go I.”  He helped me stay sober today.

1 comment:

  1. I learned yesturday too that I have no power to help someone if they do not want help. TLC has saved my life not once but twice. I am so thankful and greatful today.

    ReplyDelete