Monday, August 29, 2011

Tough Love?

This week one of our managers told two clients they could no longer communicate with one another, something they thought was unfair. They’d been friends for some time and had become very close. However, the manager thought the two were focusing more on each other than on the reason they came to the program, which was to work on getting sober and changing their lives.

One of the clients spoke with upper management about the communication ban, believing it was an intrusion into her “personal” life. However, it was explained to her that once clients come to TLC their “personal” life is second if it interferes with recovery. The client had several reasons why the relationship was good for them, that it wouldn’t get in the way of their recovery. But a reality she had to accept was that the strong feelings she had for her friend took focus from her program.

Our philosophy at TLC is that nothing is more important than learning to live clean and sober. Anything that gets in the way of sobriety – family, jobs, friends, whatever – must be pushed aside. And for those who think this is extreme or dictatorial, they need to hear the sad tales of those who didn’t make it.

We have many tragic stories of those who overdosed, died drunk, or went to jail. So many promising people have returned to their disease and never came back. We don’t mind taking what some feel aare harsh measures if we can save someone from disaster.

1 comment:

  1. I still really enjoy reading your blogs everyday. The message for me is that my recovery must come first and WhatEver I put in front of my recovery I WILL LOSE. And I believe it. Well for me this time, after many other attempts I want to stay sober more than I want to use. I am grateful and thankful today. Thank you TLC

    ReplyDelete