Thursday, September 15, 2011

Serenity Gone

A client who considers me a serene person asked what happened when I expressed anger and frustration recently while in a challenging situation.  I explained that while I might appear to be serene, life affects all of us - even those with so-called serenity. 

When I face frustration and disappointment I can get off track. The real secret is not to let such experiences derail us. After all we're human beings with human feelings and emotions. If we never get upset we're probably not being real. 

The secret is to remember that life happens and sometimes it doesn't unfold exactly the way I want. If we realize there are always changes in life then we expect them and deal with them.  At one point in my sobriety I considered anger or upset as a personal failing. But the reality is that none of us are gurus and none of us can sidestep the challenges of life.

The secret of remaining free of trouble is to be aware. When I'm unaware of or don't pay attention to my reactions when I get into frustrating situations then my serenity disappears.

No comments:

Post a Comment