Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Breakfast with a three-legged dog

I had breakfast today with a black three-legged pup at an open air bay-side cafe in Mismaloya yesterday – and thought about the perfect world our creator made for us and how all his creatures are cared for.

Here I was, feet in the sand, 80 degrees temperature, surf rising right to the legs of the table, enjoying a plate of huevos rancheros when this pup, and another dog that was dragging a twisted hind leg, showed up at my table. They acted hungry so I shared food with them. And when I finished breakfast they were done with me and moved on to another table where food was just arriving.
I reflected that both of them seemed well nourished and realized that they were strays that live and hang out in this small community. But they weren’t the only ones.

Also on the beach and in the water were several pelicans being fed by tourists.

It seemed ironic that these creatures- without jobs or credits cards- were living the good life that so many visitors work hard to enjoy. They were all well-fed, living in paradise, playing, eating and enjoying themselves. It reminded me of the lines from the New Testament where it says “look to the birds of the air, they do not sow or reap.” And the verse goes on to say that if God takes such good care of lowly creatures how well he’ll take care of us who are made in his own image.

These reassuring thoughts reminded me that my Higher Power always looked out for me before I got sober - and continues to do so today.

1 comment:

  1. I still get a message and enjoy reading your blogs everyday. I am very grateful and thankful to be alive today. I thank god TLC and the fellowship is here because I know without a doubt that if I was not here I would be out there.

    ReplyDelete