Monday, October 17, 2011

Live in Mexico?

On vacation here in this tropical paradise I sometimes fantasize about taking up residence and never returning home - except for maybe a visit. And yesterday, while at a small restaurant in the local mall, I met a young waiter who did that very thing.

When I asked him where he learned to speak such good English he told me that he’d come here on vacation a few years ago from Washington state. He loved the people and the climate and decided to stay. He sent his wife home, found a job and enjoys living in paradise. His wife spends part of the year here with him and the rest at their home in the U.S. In his case it works well because he’s bilingual and doesn’t have a lot of obligations back home.

While doing what this man did is a great fantasy, reality is that I love the life I have in the U.S. My family is there, my home is there. My life mission, helping substance abusers rebuild their lives, takes place there.  My recovery community is there. 

We have been blessed to be able to spend a month here this year on two separate trips. And even though the living here fantasy might not play out – we are planning to return in six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment