Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Promises

One member of our aftercare group died in a dope house of a heroin overdose. Another drank himself to death in a comfortable Scottsdale condominium. Another is doing 15-to-life in Florence for murder. Another was shot to death in a drug deal gone bad. All had tragic outcomes because they couldn’t get the message. And there are others who didn’t make it – too many to list in this blog.

Someone asked me recently how we continue to do this kind of work with people who can’t stay clean and sober – who end up like this? And the answer is always that we do it for those who do stay clean, for the ones have good lives and who are contributing to the world. We try to help others join them in a better life. And, in addition, we do it for ourselves because while we carry the message we stay sober.

Do I wish I had more ability to communicate the seriousness of our disease when I’m facilitating groups? Absolutely. But I know that we have no power other than to pass on information.

I’ve sat in many groups and listened to those who don’t understand the seriousness of our disease. Some admit they quit calling their sponsor, they slowed down on meetings, and they quit reading the book. I tell them of the others that sat in their chairs and didn’t make it – they too quit doing the work and it ended badly for them.

But we alcoholics and addicts mostly don’t fear the consequences. I think many of us get sober because we can no longer stand the pain, the demoralization, the lost feeling of having nothing to look forward but the next fix or drink. That’s why I stopped.

But I remained sober and clean for the promise of a better life - and it happened. And it’s happened for so many others who believe what it says in the promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment