Monday, October 24, 2011

Slow Change

A client who’s 150 pounds overweight came to my office to ask for ideas about losing weight. Because I’m a vegetarian gym rat he thought I might be able to help. Normal activities such as walking up stairs left him winded. He had no energy. His doctor expressed concern at his last visit.

I told him what worked for me and suggested he come back in a few days to check on his progress. He hasn’t returned.

I’m not sure why he didn’t follow up. However, changing bad habits can be daunting. In his case I didn’t offer anything radical – at least from my viewpoint. I asked about his diet and suggested he give up fast food.  That might have been a deal breaker because fast food may be his sole source of nutrition. We also talked of exercise, though diet and exercise should be looked at separately because some people think working out means they can eat whatever. After all, one has to run about a mile to burn an apple.

When I see this client again, I’m going to suggest something easier because changing bad habits is accomplished in small steps. Instead of quitting fast food abruptly, I’m going to suggest he give up certain kinds of fast food.  Chicken or fish in place of burgers. Water or iced tea in place of sodas. Maybe cut out fries and onion rings. And don’t do it all the first week. Incorporate these changes over a few weeks, and then work in more changes.

I quit eating fast food years ago by slowly working healthy choices into my diet.  Then one day I realized I haven’t had fast food in weeks.  I quit smoking 27 years ago by cutting down a little at a time. When I was down to five cigarettes a day I was able to stop completely.  

These slow changes worked for me. And maybe they’ll work for our client.

No comments:

Post a Comment