Friday, January 6, 2012

Exercise Benefits

The receptionist at the fitness center at 4:30 this morning wasn’t happy.

            “In an hour or so I have to check in all these new people who made New Year’s resolutions about working out. The good part of it,” he said, “is that most of them’ll quit after a couple months. Then things’ll get back to normal.”

Because he’s a twenty-something working a night job so he can attend college I understand his perspective, though I didn’t agree with it.

But his comment made me think about those who start an exercise program then give up after a short time. Why do they lose their motivation?  What do they expect to happen after they make the commitment and start a routine?

An exercise program – in my opinion – won’t work miracles. While we may make progress, sometimes it’s painfully slow drudgery.

Yet there are benefits beyond the exercise. We develop self-discipline.  Our self-esteem grows. We begin to project a more positive attitude.

Some days I don’t feel like dragging my 72 year old frame to a fitness center. But when I leave I'm invigorated and ready to face the day.

 The same discipline that helps me follow this daily routine also helps me stay sober a day at a time. 

Not always fun, but always rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment