Sunday, January 29, 2012

Insignifiant but Important

“Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it.“ Mahatma Ghandi.

When someone told me a while back how their recovery seemed unexciting and flat at times I recalled this saying. And I have to admit that it puzzled me when I first heard it years ago.

What did Ghandi mean and how does it apply to those of us in recovery today?

I guess this saying baffled me because I once lived a life fueled by adrenalin and anxiety. I lived on the edge of disaster and everything was very significant to me. Obtaining the large amount of money I needed to keep me in drugs and alcohol created drama and so-called excitement. One misstep could cost me my freedom or even my life.

When I first got sober all of that changed. Life suddenly became predictable and what some might view as boring. The universe moved at a slower pace and with less drama. It took emotional and mental adjustment to see the significance of my daily actions.

It might seem unimportant to go to a meeting after a tedious day at work- yet my recovery depends upon regular support and information from my brothers and sisters in recovery.

Practicing compassion when I’m frustrated or impatient may seem insignificant but acts of kindness may make me a better human being.

Taking out the trash or cleaning house may seem like small things, but it brings order to my life.

My 21 years of living sober didn’t happen at once – it came from living one day at a time and those seeming unremarkable days have brought me the wonderful life I enjoy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment