Friday, January 20, 2012

One Day at a Time


One day at a time is a wonderful concept for those of us in recovery. Because most of us are into instant gratification the idea of one day at a time helps when things get tough. 

When I think about drinking or putting a needle in my arm it can be almost overwhelming. But I'm pretty sure – if the challenges get too tough – I can make it till midnight.

"One day at a time" is a simple mantra, but I believe it has saved many of us from the disaster of crashing one more time.

I'm not sure where this concept came from. Probably way back in the murky history of the 12 step programs someone's sponsor said something like "well do you think you can just not drink for the rest of the day?" And maybe there a tradition was born.

I've found the idea of one day at a time useful in situations other than recovery. There have been times in our business life at TLC when we weren't sure we'd be able to keep the doors open. Yet we would show up the next day and the solution would present itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment