Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spirituality?

A client who’s been sober the better part of a year talked to me about spirituality. He didn’t understand it and wondered if it had to do with religion. Could he identify it and apply to his life?
For me the problem with his questions is that the spiritual is so intangible that there’s no easy answer. The spiritual realm is subjective and personal and - I believe - different for each of us.
For example, a spiritual moment is when I encounter a former client I haven’t seen for a while who’s now enjoying a sober life. The person appears healthy and maybe introduces me to the family or tells of business or educational success. Knowing I was a part of his recovery I experience a sense of euphoria and joy I can only describe as spiritual.

Spiritual moments come upon me when I reflect that I came from prison and the streets to where I am today. 

Spiritual is when I reflect upon the power of a God who’s given my family back and brought me a loving wife.

A spiritual moment is when I’m grateful for my recovery and success and recognize that it comes from a force greater than me.

A spiritual place in my life is when I’m enjoying serenity and peace – for no special reason.

Spirituality, I think, is different for each of us. But it’s a state we can learn to recognize and enjoy with practice.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs and enjoy them so muchbit reminds me of two biblical verses
    I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me
    &
    The joy of the Lord is my stength
    There is gtreat favor in this season upon your life blessings
    Pastor Terry

    ReplyDelete