Friday, February 17, 2012

Key to Change

“The key to change... is to let go of fear.” Rosanne Cash

Before entering detox 21 years ago I had several so-called fears about why it was a bad idea to give up drugs and alcohol.

1.      “I won’t have any friends because I don’t know any sober people,” was a favorite. 
2.      “Life will be boring because I won’t have any fun,” was another.
3.      “I don’t know what I’ll do with my time if I’m not using.”

Statement one was laughable on its face. I had lost my friends long ago because I’d misused and burned them over and over. When I got sober I had one phone number and she didn’t want to hear from me either.

In reference to number two I already led the most boring life on the planet. My daily routine was to wake up sick and try to find enough drugs or alcohol to keep me going. Oh, that was exciting, wondering if I was going to jail that day while raising funds to support my habit.

And the last fear was totally senseless. In the past, before I sunk into my morass of addiction, I led a busy life as a parent and a businessman. I always had plenty to keep me occupied. 

Once I faced these flimsy excuses - fear-based rationales - life changed. I did what I feared more than anything else:  I gave up the temporary solace of heroin and alcohol.

I let go of my fear and life became different.

No comments:

Post a Comment