Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Serenity Shattered, Restored..


What do we do when others shatter our serenity?

It happened while I was checking in for my appointment at our local Asian foot massage parlor-something I anticipate each week.
 
Ar $30.00 an hour it's an inexpensive way to unwind and relax. The staff is pleasant, the decor is soothing. The air is filled with incense and a calming sound track of flutes, bubbling brooks and chirping birds. Walking in the door one enters a world of peace.  I recommend it to anyone- in recovery or not.
 
However, this last visit, while checking in for our session - a young woman rushed in the door, pushed her way in front of us to the counter and loudly demanded an appointment. It was as if she didn't notice that the receptionist was busy checking us in.  Maybe it was the peaceful setting, but her rudeness changed the atmosphere immediately.
 
And it didn't stop there. In the small area where customers remove their shoes prior to entering the massage area, she attempted to push her way past us to put her shoes in one of the cubicles. Finally my companion asked the woman if we were in her way, did she want us to move?
 
It was only after ten minutes into my massage that I was able to drift back into my previous mood.  I try to see lessons when others behave badly and I was able to do so here.
 
For one thing, this young woman needed a massage and so was at the right place. And as for me, I learned that the unexpected can still undermine my serenity.
 
 By the time I walked out I was back on track - serenity restored.

No comments:

Post a Comment