Monday, March 19, 2012

Serenity as a Goal

I awoke this morning in a state that I can only describe as serenity. Rain was hitting gently on my bedroom window. I'd enjoyed a good night sleep, after spending the evening as at my daughter's house having dinner with her and her boyfriend.   My world was okay. 

While sitting in this state of bliss, thinking of what to write about, I realized that my normal topic is often challenges or issues faced at TLC. When I looked back through the 600 blogs I've completed that's mostly the topic. And that's probably because most days are spent resolving issues around or about TLC. It's very normal in the course of what I do. It comes with the territory.

But the goal of being sober is to achieve serenity.  To enjoy peace of mind.  To be happy.

And one of the more important – and more difficult - things we can do it TLC is to communicate the goal of serenity to our new clients. Many times this sobriety thing is very abstract to them. Many of them have been in pain because of their addictions. But fear of pain or death has not motivated them to get sober and clean.

However if we hold out to them the real promise that life can be good again – that they have a realistic chance at achieving happiness and serenity – that's something that can motivate them to do something different with their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment