Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Half Measures....


"Half measures availed us nothing." from 12-step literature.

A Hard Six client was discovered standing in his room, holding half a cup of vodka. When confronted, he denied he'd been drinking. And sure enough, when given a breathalyzer test he passed. Apparently, he hadn't been drinking.  We discharged him from the program anyway.

Some of the other clients thought it was a harsh consequence. After all the man wasn't drinking and had passed a breathalyzer test. But the issue is larger than whether or not he was drinking.

He clearly intended to drink. Plus, he had alcohol on the property. When questioned he had nothing to say. That alone was a clear indication that he was in denial about his behavior.

Once again I reiterate that we have nothing against drinking or drugging. It's none of our business what others do. However, when it involves our clients or occurs on our property then it's our business.

Even though I've been dealing with addicts and alcoholics for the last 21 years of my recovery, I'm still amazed at those who enter a recovery program but still try to drink and drug. I was the kind of addict and alcoholic who went all the way. If I took a drink or drug today I know I wouldn't be able to stop until life intervened like it did when I first got sober. If I'd  of had any sort of control I wouldn't be in recovery.

We wish this man well. And if he wants to return to try again we’ll accept him.

No comments:

Post a Comment