Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Payoff


There are many frustrations in the recovery field. But there are also many blessings. And the blessings more than make up for the frustrations.

Last night, after a long day at the office followed by an hour at the hospital visiting a sick manager, my wife and I stopped at a local restaurant. While waiting for our order, I noticed a man sitting in the corner looking at us intently. Then he recognized me and came over to shake my hand.

Turns out the man was a former client of our Hard Six program who’s been sober eight years. With him were his wife and child. The man was clean, smiling, and obviously pleased to tell me about his new life in sobriety.
After speaking with him for several minutes my wife and I resumed our meal. It was a refreshing interlude that put everything we do in perspective.

Nothing’s more rewarding than to see a former client living sober. While most clients don’t achieve this kind of success, enough do to make this project worthwhile. 

I tell our managers that when we help a person into sobriety we’re not just helping him. By extension, we’re also helping his children and family members lead better lives.

Even though our work is frustrating and unrewarding at times because so many addicts and alcoholics do not succeed,  the few that do change make it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment