Saturday, May 26, 2012

Into Action


I became angry at an employee the other day while reviewing his job performance. Rather than deal with him after I calmed down, I pulled him aside after the meeting and told him what I thought of his performance.

And then next day, I went back to make amends.

He told me I didn't need to make amends, that I hadn't offended him with what I’d said or how I said it. But I made amends anyway, telling him that I didn't feel good after I left his office.

While in retrospect I don't think I said anything offensive or that I hurt his feelings I don't believe it's a good policy to communicate with employees when one is angry. I don't think we can be objective when we're trying to deal with anything when we're angry and not focused.

For me, doing a 10th Step as I pass through my day is an easy way to keep myself on an even keel. Even if I haven't done anything  seriously wrong it's a lot easier to defuse situations as they happen than to come back and clean them up later. And my employees appreciate the idea that I'm aware of their feelings.

Another aspect of being in sobriety and working a program is to be a role model for newcomers. When employees see me practicing the principles they understand how I became successful. 

Being a good example is - in my mind - a great way to teach those in recovery how the principles work in daily life. And if they see me making amends, it will be easier for them to clean things up when they do something that requires an amends.

No comments:

Post a Comment