Thursday, May 31, 2012

Keeping on at 73


Today I've been on the planet for 73 years - kind of to my dismay - considering how I lived much of my life. Many with my resume, including peers and family members, have succumbed to alcoholism or drug addiction.  

So I'm a human being who's understandably grateful for the many blessings I have been my life. I have a wonderful wife, children and grandchildren who love me, friends and business associates who care - and help me achieve my goals.

In celebrating this anniversary I must also acknowledge the 12 step programs without which I wouldn't be here today.  For some 30 years I rejected the idea that 12 step programs could help. Yet, when I admitted I was an alcoholic everything changed for me. From that point forward I've never been arrested, have always been employed, and have enjoyed the promises these programs offer. 

Some ask when I'll retire.  But I'm not sure if that'll happen as long I'm healthy enough to go to the office. In fact, we recently opened a new phase of our business: TLC outpatient clinic. 

This is an exciting new challenge that's just scary enough to keep me interested in working for a few more years. If the clinic succeeds as we project, we’ll be able to help more addicts into recovery.

And helping others recover has been a driving force in my life for over 21 years – perhaps the reason I'm still here today.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday John!!! Thanks for all you do...

    ReplyDelete