Monday, May 7, 2012

Our Story


There’s a story in yesterday’s Arizona Republic about a 23 year old man whose mother found him dead last month in his room of a drug overdose.

The columnist handled the story very sensitively, telling how mother and son had struggled with the boy’s addiction for some ten years. There were numerous futile efforts to help the young man overcome his addiction. He was in rehab, saw counselors, and attended 12-step meetings.

He even wrote a blog to other addicts about his struggles, writing “I always told myself I will never get hooked on opiates. After I ate my words on that and got hooked I told myself I will never get hooked on the needle, and I ate my words on that also…Maybe this will help someone or at least be some entertainment for what a  ______ life I made for myself. But I am also working to pull myself back out.”  But he didn’t make it.

At TLC we've dealt with this kind of story over and over. Many of our clients go on to succeed. But too many go on to pursue their addictions until someone finds them dead of an overdose...

No comments:

Post a Comment