Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Gratitude Call...


A client called Sunday evening to express his gratitude for the TLC program.  He said he appreciated that he had a place to recover and thanked me for my efforts.

While I always appreciate an attaboy I recognize a larger truth: that here’s a client who has a good chance of remaining clean and sober - if he only maintains his gratitude.

If one has a sense of gratitude for where he or she is at in life at this moment, then life suddenly looks better, seems full of possibilities.

I don’t recall ever relapsing while I was in a state of gratitude – nor do I know anyone else who’s relapsed while they were dwelling in this positive emotion.  There were many times though when I was angry and feeling sorry for myself that I ended up drunk and back in the spoon.

In my nearly 22 years of recovery I can always look at the surrounding world and find reasons to be grateful.  If we just look around we can see so many who are suffering – who wished they had our opportunities.

After this client called unexpectedly to thank me I took a moment to dry my eyes and reflect upon the many blessings in my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment