Wednesday, July 18, 2012

5th Step Fear


A drug addict who was working on his fourth and fifth steps had a dilemma.

He said he'd done so many terrible things in his past that he wasn’t comfortable sharing them with a sponsor. He thought he might do his fifth step with a priest or pastor - someone he might not see again. The only thing holding him back is that he felt he was taking the easy way out by not sharing his experiences with someone who knew him personally.

Even though I'm not sponsoring the man, I suggested he look at the larger picture. He's never been able to stay sober or clean for very long. On more than one occasion his disease nearly killed him. His drug use has caused him to spend years in prison and halfway houses, trying to get his life together.

I suggested he look at his life from a long-term perspective. I told him it makes little difference who he chooses for his fifth step. The real issue is that if he wants to save his life he should get through this part of the steps and move onward.

He had a look of shock at my answer when he asked when I thought he should do the fifth step. I told him he should do it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment