Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, July 29, 2012

More Blessings...


I was enjoying the monsoon sky last evening while floating by myself in the pool and reflecting on the blessings of sobriety.

My thought was to enjoy a ten minute dip to cool off.  Instead I found myself doing lazy backstroke laps for nearly an hour while I appreciated what I have today and where it comes from.

And of course the life I enjoy today is a direct result of a decision made over twenty years ago: to change.

And what happened is that I quit wasting my life energy trying to escape from a reality that has turned out to be an amazing series of blessings.

Today I have a fine wife, a circle of friends, and more material things than I need to be comfortable. 

And every day I have an opportunity to be a positive influence in the lives of others because of the recovery program we started over twenty years ago.