Friday, July 13, 2012

Recovery Blessings


A blessing of recovery is that my wife and I are able to mostly escape TLC and reunite with our family a few times a year. One of those times is in mid-summer when we rent two condos for a week on the beach. The other is when we spend three days in Las Vegas, between Christmas and New Year’s.

These interludes are a time to enjoy the grandchildren and catch up on what everyone’s doing with their lives. 

I’m sure those who read this blog might ask how one can consistently be as grateful for their life as I am.  If one reads back through these 700 plus blogs the overriding theme is gratitude – never negativity.

But, if you came where I came from you understand. My first ten years were overshadowed by what today we call domestic violence. That, and alcoholism.  The insanity of those years colored my life to the point that when I entered my teens I was such an addicted angry mess that I spent 16 years in jails – one of those in a mental institution. 

I carried all of that anger, fear, and resentment until my early 50’s.  At that point I decided that I would have to change – or die.  I changed.

Today, my theme song is gratitude because entering recovery triggered a serious of events that I would have never imagined.

I’m married to a beautiful woman who helps me keep it real. I have wonderful friends. I have more than one successful business.  My family's back in my life – and I have grandchildren who’ve never seen me drunk or nodding out on heroin.

What more can I ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment