Monday, July 16, 2012

Starting Over


I talked to a client last week who’d inherited nearly $300,000 and spent all of it on his addiction in less than six months. At the end of his drug run he didn't have enough money to buy a hamburger. He said that at that point he realized he had a problem and decided to change his life.

His story illustrates the power of our addictions. When a person is a real addict or alcoholic no amount of money can help them to get where they want. One of two things usually happens: they either die or end up going broke and getting sober.

When I talked to this client I told him the same thing that I tell anyone who's lost everything to their addictions. I tell them it's a wonderful place to be because then they can start to rebuild their lives.

Also I share my own story with them. I went from my corporate job with benefits and an expense account to being homeless and living in a stolen car before I finally decided to get sober. When I walked into the detoxification unit I had one change of clothes and seventy-three cents. But the condition I was in is what propelled me to change my life.

When one ends up in such dire circumstances it’s difficult to deny there’s a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment