Thursday, July 12, 2012

Where We're Supposed to Be


"Just trust that everything is unfolding the way it is supposed to. Don't resist. Surrender to what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be. Great things are waiting for you around the corner."  Sonia Ricotti

A client once lamented that he’d “lost everything” on his last drug run.

            “That’s wonderful,” I replied.

He seemed angry at my response. Then I explained that when we lose everything we might realize that how we’re living isn’t working anymore- that we're right where we're supposed to be.

When our behavior is such that we end up sick, broke, divorced, in jail, or unemployed then we’re able to look at who’s really responsible.  And, whether we like it or not, we’re always responsible for what we do.  It’s difficult to blame others when we get ourselves into these kinds of messes.  No one forces us to use alcohol or drugs – we do this on our own.

I don’t speak to clients from a lofty, judgmental pedestal. I also found myself broke, homeless and sick over 21 years ago. But it was a good place to be because I was finally able to realize that drugs and alcohol were no longer the solution.

It may sometimes be painful - or wonderful - but I’m exactly where I want to be at this point in my life. If not, then who brought me here?

No comments:

Post a Comment