Sunday, August 12, 2012

Changing Values


A former client I hadn’t seen in many years stopped by for a visit and was surprised at the size of my office.

            “I thought you’d have a bigger office,” he said, as I invited him to sit. “This is kind of small and plain.”

I explained that at one time I had a larger office and nicer furniture. But I found it didn’t make a lot of difference how big or fancy my office was, I still got the same amount of work done and it didn’t affect business one way or the other. And people didn’t seem to like me more - or any less - based on the size of my office.

As we continued chatting I told him that in my twenty+ years of sobriety my values about “things” had changed.  Today I want whatever I own to be functional, whether it is an office, home, car or clothing.

I came to realize a few years ago that after basic needs are met the rest is usually a matter of ego. My Toyota Prius gets me around as good as a Rolls Royce – though not with the same panache or style.  My Old Navy chinos work just as good as something from Nordstrom’s or another pricey store.  And from a few feet away nobody knows how expensive my watch is.

And the other part is I don’t care.  I have little interest in those who are impressed by what others own. I came to realize if people are impressed by what I have - they’ll be equally as superficial when I have nothing.

Living sober has helped me to simplify my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment