Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Example of Compassion


I find compassion in unexpected places.

While at the office of a long-time business associate today I saw a side of him that I didn't know. Several years ago he'd gone through a painful divorce after being married to the same woman for over three decades. The divorce, like many, was acrimonious.   There was back-and-forth legal bickering about division of property and who got what.  And once in a while – when he’d refer to the challenges of the divorce settlement – I’d sense his pain and frustration.

So I was surprised when he said he’s been spending time out-of-state with his ex-wife. In fact, he's conducting most of his business via e-mail or on the telephone.  And when I asked when we’d meet again he explained what was going on between him and his ex.

He said she's developed life threatening health conditions and has no one to care for her. Their children are unwilling to help and she has no friends who can to come to her aid. So he’s disrupted his life to care for her.

I am inspired to see him go beyond the issues that arose in his divorce to help her with her health challenges.

I hope I can do as well when it comes to showing compassion to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment