Friday, August 17, 2012

God at Work?


Before I got sober I thought miracles were big things. Like God moving mountains. Or parting the Red Sea. But these days I see his hand in small things..

For example, last week I was returning from the store with a 55" television I'd purchased. I was able to fit it into the back of my Prius with the help of the store clerk, but it was a little too big for me to unload comfortably by myself. However, on the way home I had the random notion that if my next door neighbor's teenage son was available he could help move it into my living room.

Now I'm not sure where this thought came from. Because in the 10 years I've lived there I've only waved to the boy and never had more than a five minute conversation with him.

So I was surprised when - I started to unload the TV - the neighbor boy appeared and asked me if he could help. Of course I accepted and we were able to get the television into my living room without a lot of difficulty.  While this might seem a trivial coincidence I somehow believe it's more than that.

Another example occurred this week when a man in his early 20s flew from another state to become a TLC client. During the application process a family member mentioned that the young man left the last program he was at partly because there were no clients his age – no one he could relate to.
 
After he arrived at TLC, the client in the next room overheard the newcomer mention his hometown. As it turned out both are not only the same ages - but also from adjacent neighborhoods in the same northern California city.

Coincidence?  God? You decide.