Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Grateful for it All


During these hot summer days we speak often about the 115 degree heat, the humidity, the endless sticky days.

I tell out of state clients about this being the worst part of the year. They give me odd looks when I say 100 degrees is decent weather here - that we'll be there before we know it. I tell them they’ll get used to it. I’m not sure they believe me - even though I sound serious and really mean it.

But during this season I muster gratitude and remember there’s a rhyme and reason to everything in God’s world. I don’t  like the heat; I simply accept that it's His business. Another area of life where I have no power.

So even during this season I try to live in gratitude. For example, today the monsoon sky was a dull gray cloud cover that lowered the temperature enough to make things bearable. I was thankful for that.

Sometimes late in the evening when it's this oppressive I float on my back in the pool, looking at the stars, and reflect that I almost missed all of this because of my addictions.